Skip to main content
Blossom Field Blossom Field

Landlord responsbility


Have you covered your legal responsibilities?


Landlords have a duty to ensure the safety of the property they are letting and, if furnished, its contents.


The following are statutory Safety Legislations applicable to letting properties, which must be adhered to by Landlords:





Provisions which apply to rented property let on a tenancy or lease of less than 7 years (including periodic tenancies) or those which may be determined within 7 years, and to periodic tenancies arising from such tenancies. Property occupied under the terms of a licence, e.g. guest houses, bed and breakfast and holiday accommodation, is also covered by these regulations.


The regulations make the following main provisions in relation to rented property:

  1. Maintenance. The Regulations place a duty on the landlord to ensure that all gas appliances, flues and associated pipework are maintained in a safe condition at all times.
  2. Annual Safety Checks. Gas appliances and flues in rented accommodation must be checked for safety within 12 months of being installed and thereafter at least every twelve months by a competent engineer (i.e. Gas Safe registered gas installer).
  3. New Tenancies. Before any lease commences, it must be ensured that the gas safety check has been carried out on each appliance and flue within the 12-month period before the tenancy commences, or has been or will be carried out within 12 months after the appliance or flue was installed, whichever is later.
  4. Tenants Appliances. Under these Regulations, a landlord's duty to maintain and check appliances does not apply to gas appliances which are owned by the tenant, nor to any flues that only serve such appliances (although the landlord may have a duty to repair and maintain such flues under separate legislation - see s.11, Landlord and Tenant Act 1985).
  5. Records. The Regulations require the landlord (or his agent) to keep a record of safety checks on each appliance and flue. The record must include the prescribed information which includes the date of the check, the address of the premises concerned, the name and address of the landlord (or where appropriate, the agent), the description of the appliance/flue checked, any defect identified, any remedial action taken, confirmation that the check complies with the Regulations, and the name and Gas Safe registration number of the person doing the check. The Gas Safe Gas Safety Record Form may be used for this purpose. Records should be kept for 2 years from the date of the check.
  6. Gas Certificate. A copy of the safety check record or certificate must be given to any new tenant before the tenant occupies the premises to which the record relates. Also, a copy of the new record must be given to each existing tenant within 28 days of the annual check. Because the Regulations require that a copy of the record is to be given to each existing tenant and any new tenant, this means that all tenants should receive a copy of the report within the prescribed time.
  7. Contracting Out. A landlord or agent may not contract out of his obligations under the Regulations, e.g. by making an agreement or stipulation to the tenant under the lease that the tenant must arrange for servicing of gas appliances.
  8. Room-sealed Appliances. The Regulations prohibit the installation of certain types of gas appliances in certain areas; such as a room used or intended to be used as a bathroom or sleeping accommodation. Although this is a general requirement on all properties, a landlord has additional specific duties under the Regulations to: check that such appliances are not installed in any room occupied or intended to be occupied as sleeping accommodation and to ensure that the Regulations are not contravened when a room is converted to form accommodation used or intended to be used as sleeping accommodation.




The 1991 Smoke Detectors Act requires that all new houses that have been built since 1992 must, by law, have a smoke detector installed, the minimum requirement being one smoke alarm on each level of the building.


This is not a piece of legislation aimed specifically at residential letting property, but aimed at all new buildings. If an agent installs smoke alarms into properties that he manages, or they already exist, care must be taken in ensuring that it is clear from the letting agreement who is responsible for the maintenance of the detectors, including testing and battery replacement.


To neglect this matter could mean that the landlord or agent is responsible, and in the case of a fire could be held liable for being negligent in their duties. There are different rules covering Houses in Multiple Occupation with regard to the installation of smoke detectors and other fire prevention measures.






The regulations require:

  1. General Safety. That all electrical equipment supplied is safe. In measuring safety, the 'supplier' needs to ascertain whether the product will comply with the current UK requirements for safety of domestic electrical products. Without detailed technical knowledge, there is no simple way to define which electrical products conform and which do not.
  2. Instructions. Where the safe use of the equipment relies upon the user being aware of any particular characteristic, suitable information or instruction booklets should be provided. The instructions should be given in English.
  3. Labelling. The 1994 Regulations require that any equipment supplied in the EEC after 9th January 1995 shall be marked with the appropriate CE symbol (subject to the Transitional arrangements below). In practise, the CE labelling requirement only applies to manufacturers when equipment is first placed on the market.
  4. Transitional Arrangements. Equipment supplied in the letting of property will thus be supplied equipment already placed into the supply chain. The transition arrangements allow the supply of electrical equipment which either complies with the provisions of the 1994 Regulations or complies with the provisions of the 1989 Regulations. Thus letting agents may continue to provide non CE labelled equipment as long as it is compliant with the 1989 Regulations.





Since January 1997, it has been unlawful for landlords to supply upholstered furniture in rented property which does not comply to 1988 standards as set out in The Furniture & Furnishings (Fire)(Safety) Regulations 1988 (as amended).


The reason is that upholstered furniture made before 1988 may contain foam which is capable of engulfing a room in seconds with toxic fumes. The new standards require furniture to be filled with safer materials and be covered by material with greater fire resistance. Consequently, the regulations apply to the covering and the filling material of these furnishings.


What is covered by the regulations?


All upholstered seating furniture, beds, mattresses, headboards, sofa beds, futons, scatter cushions, seat pads, loose and stretch covers.


Furniture bought new after 1988 should be labelled to indicate it complies. Since 1993 it has been illegal to sell second-hand furniture which does not comply (furniture made before 1950 is the exception).


The regulations require:

  1. Certificates meeting these regulations where appropriate
  2. An inventory of all items left in the property and a property condition report
  3. Portable Appliance Testing (PAT) for all electrical appliances.
  4. Permission from your mortgage lender if you have a mortgage on your property 
  5. Your insurer must be informed





Private residential landlords are required to provide an EPC when renting out a home to new tenants.


The EPC remains valid for 10 years and can be used for all new tenants in that period; it is only required for self-contained properties, i.e. they are not necessary when a tenant rents a room with shared facilities.


Using an agent


You can advertise and manage your property yourself, but it can be stressful and time-consuming, so we are here to help you. We will provide you with necessary advice and written confirmation of our terms, conditions and costs for acting on your behalf before you sign anything.


Please see Why Use Us.

What our customers say about us

The most professional estate agency in Ward End. I have tried others and will not move from this letting's agent.

Parma Singh

Sold my house with Arden, very professional service, quick sell and at my asking price. Will definitely use Arden Estates again.

Sam Ansell

Exceptional. From meeting at the valuation to sales completion, Arden provided an honest, professional service throughout. Tony and Paul kept me updated with progress from finding a genuine purchaser to ensuring we experienced no unnecessary delays. I highly recommend them. My only regret I didn’t knock their door first. Exceptional.

Read more
Declan Galligan

This is the third time I have used Arden Estates as a landlord and I have had a positive experience each time. Arden always goes above and beyond and is always available for advice and support. I'd definitely recommend them and will use Arden again in the future.

Read more
Akeel Ahmed

What our customers say about us

We’re always here to help

Frequently asked questions...

How should I prepare my property for sale?

First impressions count! We will work with you to advise how best to present your property. It is helpful to clean and declutter your property as best you can before sale. Keep pets out of the picture and clean the areas that are often missed such as skirting boards, window frames and doors. Remove any cobwebs. Kerb appeal is very important - tidy up your driveway to improve initial appeal to prospective buyers. 

Read more

My property is already on the market, can I still use Arden Estate Agents?

Yes, you can still use Arden Estate Agents. You can choose to instruct us straight away and set the date for your marketing. You could also instruct us as an additional agent, sometimes referred to as dual agency, subject to the terms of your existing agency agreement.

How do viewings work?

We will accompany and arrange all viewings for you according to your schedule. 

Read more FAQs here

We’re always here to help

Frequently asked questions...

read more FAQs here